Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Short Summer Summary!

Naturally, summer vacation went quickly this year. Even though it was short, it was eventful! After the end of the school year party on Thursday, us at the Genesis House were busy getting ready for Ana's quinciñera - her 15th birthday party. For those of you who have been reading my blog faithfully from the start, you may remember that I already explained the importance of the quinciñera here in Mexico. The 15th birthday is a big event because it is viewed as a right of passage for girls. This party is no small thing - there are decorations, a meal and cake for desert, a special sermon, a presentation of the gifts (make up, a Bible, a prayer cushion, high heels, etc.), worship songs, and in my opinion the best of all - the choreographed dancing. A lot of preparation goes into quinciñeras; the girls who have these parties definitely remember them for the rest of their lives! The birthday girl has a special dress custom made and has her hair, nails, and make up done. Ana looked absolutely beautiful! She made her grand entrance on a horse - while wearing a dress; I was very impressed! 
Anniversary dinner at "El Mirador" - a restaurant that overlooks Oaxaca. You can see the city lights in the background
out for lunch with Obed's family
The day after Ana's big party, I headed to Oaxaca to spend two weeks with Obed and his family. Up until this point, the most time Obed and I had spent together was as week. The more time I spend in Oaxaca, the more I like it - it's so pretty and has a completely different feel than San Vicente, where I live. The two weeks I spent in Oaxaca weren't so much about sightseeing as they were about meeting Obed's friends, continuing to get to know his family, and getting a first hand look at Obed's daily life. It was such a blessing for us to be able to have this time together. We even were able to celebrate our year and a four month anniversary on the actual date.

No comments:

Post a Comment