Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas is Coming!

These past couple of weeks have been busy for us at Ninos, as we have been preparing for Christmas. The kids are out of school again, as of last Friday. The last couple of weeks of school were spent getting ready for the traditional Christmas party. My primary English classes sang and danced to Jackson 5's version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" and my secondary English classes sang and danced (actually they did a lot more dancing than singing) to Hannah Montana's version of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." As much as I got sick of those 2 songs, I was proud, as always, of the effort the kids made to learn the words and the dance moves. We all breathed a sigh of relief once their performances were over!
We have begun to go to a food bank in Mexico City to receive donations of fruit, vegetables, and other food items, as well as toiletries. At the end of November, the guys came home with several live Christmas trees. There was even an extra one for my apartment. A couple of the girls helped me decorate the tree and it really made the place feel festive and homey. Every night, I sat in front of the Christmas tree, taking in the beauty of the lights. There's something about Christmas lights that continues to amaze me, even now that I'm older. Maybe it's the way they remind me of all of the Christmas pasts, the way they make me anxious for the Christmas to come, the way they make me feel like I'm home, the way they cause me to reflect on the real reason for Christmas and on all that God has done in my life in just a year's time. I am so grateful to whoever donated those Christmas trees and to see the way they have brought the Christmas spirit to each of our four homes.
The girls enjoyed Christmas themed Girls Night, as we frosted sugar cookies, had a white elephant gift exchange, and watched "The Grinch." They have been busy sewing their stockings and buying gifts for the house's Secret Santa gift exchange. As I eagerly anticipated going to the States for Christmas to be with my family, I also enjoyed the time to spend celebrating Christmas with my Mexican family. Wishing everyone a "Feliz Navidad" and precious time with loved ones, celebrating the greatest gift ever given - the love of a Savior.

1 comment: