Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Refreshing My Soul.

As some of you may remember, this year our school has adopted a year round schedule. This means that we have 42 consecutive days of class followed by 2 weeks out of school. Our first 2 week break was in November and I decided to use 1 of those weeks to take a little vacation. For those of you who do not know, I have been dating someone for about 7 months now after meeting at a Christian family camp last April. Obed lives in the state of Oaxaca, which is about 6 hours away. My friends Saul and Abby (a young married couple who also work for Ninos) and I decided to take a roadtrip to Oaxaca. We spent the week sightseeing around Oaxaca - it's very beautiful - and then spent 3 days at 2 different beaches, Puerta Escondido and Acapulco.
The week away was just what I needed and it was an answer to prayer in a lot of ways. Recently, I'd been feeling the urge to travel and brought it to the Lord in prayer. Most of my time is spent inside of the compound where I work and live - I get a little claustrophobic sometimes. This trip gave me the opportunity to get to know other parts of Mexico and enjoy their culture and scenery. Sometimes I pray for friends, real friends, like the ones I had in college. I miss having close friends close by. This roadtrip definitely deepened my friendship with Abby and Saul, resembling some of the memorable roadtrips I had in college. It was a blessing to for Obed and I to be able to enjoy a longer period of time together; long distance relationships can be tough! Every now and then, I long to be 'normal' just for a day - not to be a missionary, but to just be a 23 year old and think only about myself. Maybe it is selfish to admit that, but God already knows so I might as well say it. This trip was a time for me to relax from all the responsibilities and potential stresses that come from serving with Ninos. I absolutely love what I do, but sometimes it can be draining. God used the week away to refresh me emotionally and spiritually and I am so thankful. He always knows just what I need, exactly when I need it. This trip taught me the importance of taking time for myself and getting away when I need to - it helps me better serve the ministry and the kids.

1 comment:

  1. so truee...I have experienced this last month... when i was feeling totally drained i got a chance to go to Philiphines for 2 weeks... i really didnt like the idea.... bt when i went there i met a Christian friend who brought my spirit up again :)

    ReplyDelete