As many of you know, last week, I started doing Girls Bible study again. Last year, the Bible study was only for the girls who were ages 14-17; God started impressing on my heart the importance of these girls learning more about Christ. I felt Him leading me to remove the age limit and open the study up to all of the girls (with the exception of the 2 who are in kindergarten). If they truly have the desire to come to Bible study, why would I let their age be a limiting factor?Last week was kind of a rough week to start because there was a lot of tension and girl/girl drama. Honestly, I was a little nervous about who would come, how they would get along, etc. But our God is bigger than the drama. All day, I prayed off and on that He would bring the girls to the study who needed to be there. I'm happy to say that He brought 5 girls the first week, girls from all different "cliques." One of my worries was that peer pressure would get in the way - that some of the girls wouldn't come because their closest friends didn't come. Again, peer pressure is nothing to God.
This week, we met for the second time and I found myself playing the waiting game - something that is a frequent part of my life here in Mexico. As the minutes dragged on, I started getting worried that the girls weren't going to come (even though 2 of them had already told me they would be there). I also began to feel somewhat discouraged because one of the girls who had come the previous week hadn't shown up. This girl is very special to me - she even calls me "Mama Megan."
Wendy has been struggling a lot lately with friends and peer pressure and I really feel that she needs to be in this study. I started praying while I was waiting, pouring out all of my feelings to God - about not wanting to "fail" at this Bible study, about how much I wanted Wendy to be there, about how hard it is sometimes to trust Him to bring the girls, about how hard it can be to remember that it's not about me. Minutes later, there was a knock at my door. It was none other than Wendy. I could have cried. What followed, once the other girls arrived, was some of the best discussion we've ever had. The girls encouraged me with their enthusiasm and genuine interest. They also touched my heart with their idea to make cards for one of our primary-aged boys who has recently started to lose his hair and was being teased.While we've only had Bible study for 2 weeks now, God has used it to bless me. He has used it to remind me that He has things under control. That He is bigger than any circumstances. That He is incredibly faithful. That it is not about me. That He deserves my trust and that He always shows up. That it is NOT about me. All He asks is that His people are faithful in planting the seeds - He will bring the harvest.
No comments:
Post a Comment