
Just a few weeks ago, I turned 23 and had one of the best birthdays I think I have ever had. The main reason that it was so special was because my mom and dad were here to share it with me. They arrived in Mexico on my birthday and we spent the day celebrating with some of the other staff. First, we toured Molino de Flores (an old hacienda where movies have been filmed) - it's beautiful. After walking around, we headed to a taco place to enjoy some authentic and delicious Mexican food. Dinner was followed by dessert at a cafe where two of our boys work. We enjoyed crepas de

primavera (crepes filled with cream cheese and covered with fruit and a rum sauce - they are my new favorite). When we finally arrived the Genesis House, the girls had prepared a birthday surprise for me and we enjoyed cake, with of course the tradition of pushing my face in. (Thankfully, they didn't get me wet!) After a full day, Mom, Dad, and I finally headed up to my apartment where they had a small suitcase of gifts and cards from friends and family in the States. It meant so much to me to hear from so many people on my birthday. But probably the best present of all was having Mom and Dad there to celebrate with me.

Mom and Dad stayed with me for a week and thankfully, I was given almost the entire week off of school to spend with them. It was some much needed relaxing time from my normal teaching routine. Some of the various things we did together

were: watching soccer games, enjoying meals at three of the four children's homes, seeing a clown perform for all of the children (this isn't something I enjoyed very much because I'm afraid of clowns and I had to be the translator. Good thing

Mom and Dad were here to help me through this traumatic time!), playing games, going to the city to see the palace and cathedral, shopping in the markets, going to the pyramids and climbing both of them (I was so proud!) and just spending some much needed time catching up. It was so great to be able to show Mom and Dad my world.

Honestly, they fit into it pretty nicely! I've often thought that the only thing that keeps me from being 100% content here in Mexico is that my family isn't here with me. For a week, it was nice to be able to have that. Probably my favorite part of their

visit was watching the way Mom and Dad interacted with the kids. By the end of the week, they had several kids calling them "Mom and Dad" or just being excited to see them. I think they understand now why I love the kids so much. The encouragement and support of my parents continues to be a major blessing to me - it's something that keeps me going and thanking God on a daily basis.

I'm ready to start planning their next trip to Mexico; hopefully this time it will include Chris too : )
Good to read that you enjoyed your parents' visit. You all look so happy.
ReplyDelete