My eyes were opened to the health care system (it's universal health care here), and to be honest, I didn't exactly like what I saw. On Saturday, we arrived at the hospital, hoping to see his aunt. Instead of being allowed to go in, we had to wait outside along with several others all waiting to see their loved ones. Visitors are only allowed inside if they have the appropriate documentation, if the person in the hospital has not already exceeded their allotted number of visitors for the day, and if the time of the visit is 'convenient'. As I sat there waiting outside, I was struck by the number of people around me. All waiting. All hoping for the best for someone inside the hospital. Then I began to think of the people inside the hospital ... in pain and alone.
Finally, one of the other relatives we were with, went to ask if we were going to be allowed in to visit. He was told that she had passed away - just like that. Instead of being at her bedside, we were outside. I found myself wondering how many other people had waited and waited, only to find that their loved one was already gone. As plans were made for the funeral, I noticed a couple of pregnant women being turned away from the hospital. It broke my heart.

The funeral was the following day. Everyone gathered at his aunt's house, where her casket was open and a mariachi band played. Even though some of the funeral traditions seemed a little strange to me, I began to realize the universality of grief. People grieve the same. It is one of the basic human emotions that we will all experience at some point in our lives. How sad loss is, but how wonderful to think that someday we will be in a place free of loss. How wonderful to serve a God who has triumphed over death.
No comments:
Post a Comment