Friday, November 4, 2011

Fall Fun

One of the biggest things I miss about the United States is Fall. Fall is my absolute favorite season - crunching the colorful leaves, seeing the vibrant colors of the trees (before they die...), drinking pumpkin spiced chai lattes, bonfires, jeans and sweatshirt weather. The seasons don't really change here in Mexico - that's just fine in the Winter, but not so great in the Fall.
In honor of my favorite season, I decided to have a Halloween themed Girls Night last weekend. I made cupcake spiders for dessert, we played an outdoor game similar to Mafia, and best of all, we carved pumpkins, None of the girls had ever carved a pumpkin before. Halloween in Mexico is a pretty dark day and not something we celebrate at Ninos for that reason. BUT ... we carved pumpkins anyways, after I explained that the tradition is not bad in the States. It was so fun to watch the girls' faces as they scooped out all of the seeds and nasty insides! As always, the girls impress me with their creativity and their pumpkins turned out super cute. I really enjoyed being able to share one of my traditions with them.
Sometimes it can be a little chaotic to host all of the girls, but I love doing it and have come to cherish the time we have once a month to all be together and just have fun. These girls have all become so special to me. This past month, I've started taking them out one on one for ice cream or coffee. They don't always get a lot of individual attention and I've really enjoyed being able to focus only one girl at a time. It's such a blessing when they let me into their lives and share what is on their hearts. I continue to pray that God allows His love to flow through me and pour out into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment