Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bienvenida a Mexico!


Mexico has been my new home for one full week now. It's hard to believe that I haven't been here for a whole year, especially when I feel like I've been away from the States for so long. The girls gave me such a warm welcome when I got to the Genesis House late Tuesday night. They had balloons, confetti (which they threw all over me and I found in my hair for days afterwards), a sign that they all wrote on, and snacks. Seeing them definitely made the long day of travel worth it!
Here is my room in our apartment (the sign the girls made is hanging over my bed):

My first week has been filled with various things ... settling into the apartment I share with Erin at the Genesis House, visiting two of the other children's homes, meeting some of the new kids who have come to live here, preparing for school (which starts on September 2nd), playing volleyball, and watching soccer games. The best part of my first week here was being able to go on vacation with the houseparents and the girls at the Genesis House. On Saturday, we left for a resort that has 7 different pools with hot water. We made the two hour trip in a 15 passenger van with 23 people! Such is life in Mexico : ) It was fun to get away and spend time relaxing in the warm water.

The biggest thing I'm adjusting to is being fully immersed in Spanish. It's coming back to me and I'm able to understand maybe 70% of what's being said. But I struggle sometimes with getting out what I want to say. I'm not used to conversation being so much work! Sometimes my brain gets tired from focusing so hard. My main goal for now is to re-establish positive relationships with the kids and to continue trying to speak Spanish as much as possible so it will become easier. All that aside, I love the kids and I love the culture. I'm excited to be here and work with Erin teaching English and doing girls Bible studies.

2 comments:

  1. yay Megan! A lovely blog you have, I'm excited to read about your adventures & see pictures :) Dios te bendiga mi amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are settled and welcomed back to Mexico! Just take one day at a time learning the language, and remember that there is only one language of love in any culture; and I believe that you are doing great with that. It's great to be in the center of God's will.
    Natalie Smith

    ReplyDelete