A couple of weekends ago, I was invited to my first Mexican wedding. It was at this wedding that I also made my debut as a 'professional' photographer. On the left is my favorite picture I got of the beautiful bride. On the right is a picture of me and my wonderful photography assistant Liliana, one of the girls from the Genesis House.Ricardo and Azalia, who are house parents at the Agape House, have been married for 15 years. They never had a real wedding, just a small legal ceremony. For their 15th wedding anniversary, they decided to have an actual wedding ceremony to celebrate and renew their
vows. The wedding took place in the living room of the Agape house and it was decorated beautifully. The ceremony
began with a couple of praise songs and then there was a brief sermon. One of the most interesting ceremony traditions to me was the "lazo." A rope or lasso is placed around the couple to symbolize them being united together in marriage. The couple then receives gifts, such as pillows, a wedding album, and a Bible. (This is pretty similar to the gifts given at the quincinera I went to.)
Once the cere
mony concluded, the guests enjoyed a delicious dinner and cake. A couple of other wedding traditions followed the meal. The groom lies down on a blanket and then is tossed into the air by the other male guests. Both t
he groom and the bride go around collecting money for the honeymoon. The bride's money is placed in one of her high heels, while the groom's money is pinned to his suit jacket. The festivities continued with some karaoke, beginning with the groom serenading the bride. From what I hear, the karaoke lasted until 1 a.m., but I was at home in bed long before then! It was great to be part of such a special day for Ricardo and Azalia and as always, I enjoyed learning more about traditions here.
vows. The wedding took place in the living room of the Agape house and it was decorated beautifully. The ceremony
began with a couple of praise songs and then there was a brief sermon. One of the most interesting ceremony traditions to me was the "lazo." A rope or lasso is placed around the couple to symbolize them being united together in marriage. The couple then receives gifts, such as pillows, a wedding album, and a Bible. (This is pretty similar to the gifts given at the quincinera I went to.)Once the cere
mony concluded, the guests enjoyed a delicious dinner and cake. A couple of other wedding traditions followed the meal. The groom lies down on a blanket and then is tossed into the air by the other male guests. Both t
he groom and the bride go around collecting money for the honeymoon. The bride's money is placed in one of her high heels, while the groom's money is pinned to his suit jacket. The festivities continued with some karaoke, beginning with the groom serenading the bride. From what I hear, the karaoke lasted until 1 a.m., but I was at home in bed long before then! It was great to be part of such a special day for Ricardo and Azalia and as always, I enjoyed learning more about traditions here.
No comments:
Post a Comment